|What you need
|What you do
|What you get
|A round roast (about 1.5 kg or 3 lbs), seasonings, vegetables, broth, and a crock pot or a slow cooker.
|Season the roast, sear it on a skillet, transfer it to the crock pot, add the vegetables and broth, and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
|A succulent and flavorful round roast crock pot that falls apart with a fork, along with tender vegetables and a rich gravy.
Table of Contents
- Round Roast Crock Pot Recipe & Ingredients
- How to Choose a Round Roast for your next Crock Pot Recipe?
- Tips & Tricks to Cooking a Tender & Juicy Round Roast Crock Pot
- What to Serve With a Round Roast Crock Pot
- Round Roast Crock Pot Recipe FAQ
Round Roast Crock Pot Recipe & Ingredients
Quick Reference Summary
1 round roast (about 1.5 kg or 3 lbs), trimmed and tied
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
2 celery stalks, cut into chunks
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs of fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
2 cups of beef broth
2 tablespoons of cornstarch
1/4 cup of water
Chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Season the roast generously with salt and pepper on all sides.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Sear the roast for about 4 minutes per side, or until browned and crusty. Transfer the roast to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the onion and garlic to the same skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, or until soft and golden. Transfer the onion and garlic to a 6-quart crock pot.
- Add the carrots, celery, bay leaves, and thyme to the crock pot. Place the roast on top of the vegetables and pour the broth over it. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4 hours, or until the roast is fork-tender.
- Transfer the roast to a cutting board and let it rest for 10 minutes. Slice the roast thinly across the grain. Transfer the slices to a platter and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Strain the cooking liquid from the crock pot into a saucepan, discarding the solids. Bring the liquid to a boil over high heat and cook until reduced by half, about 15 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir the cornstarch mixture into the saucepan and cook, stirring, until the gravy is thickened, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the roast with the gravy and the vegetables. Sprinkle with parsley if desired.
You can adjust the quantities and seasoning according to taste and preference.
Why Choose a Round Roast Crock Pot?
This Round roast crock pot recipe is a very easy & convenient way to cook a hearty family meal.
Using a crock pot, you simply “set it and forget it”, setting the crock pot at low temperatures for long periods of time, thus letting the crock pot do all the work for you. A crock pot is also know as a slow cooker – so a round roast crock pot is the same as a round roast slow cooker.
You don’t have to worry about checking the oven, flipping the meat, or adjusting the heat. You can also prepare the ingredients ahead of time and store them in the fridge until you are ready to cook.
Now, a round roast is a cut of beef that comes from the rear leg of the cow. It is also known as a bottom round roast, a rump roast, or a silverside roast. It is a lean and economical cut that can feed a large family or a group of guests.
However, a round roast can also be tough and dry if cooked improperly. This is because round roasts have less fat and connective tissue than other cuts.
It can easily become overcooked and lose its moisture and flavor if not “stewed” for long periods of time.
That’s why a crock pot is the perfect cooking method for a round roast. A crock pot, also known as a slow cooker, is a countertop appliance that cooks food at a low and steady temperature for a long time. It allows the meat to become tender and juicy, while retaining its natural juices and nutrients.
It also creates a delicious gravy from the drippings and the broth, which can be used to moisten the meat and the vegetables.
How to Choose a Round Roast for your next Crock Pot Recipe?
When buying a round roast, look for one that is well-trimmed and has a uniform shape and size. This will ensure even cooking and prevent the roast from drying out. You can also ask your butcher to tie the roast with kitchen twine, which will help it keep its shape and make it easier to slice.
If you want to buy a high-quality round roast, you should choose one that is grass-fed and organic. Grass-fed beef is beef that comes from cows that are raised on pasture and eat only grass and hay. Organic beef is beef that comes from cows that are not given any hormones, antibiotics, or GMOs.
Grass-fed and organic beef has many benefits for your health and the environment. It has more omega-3 fatty acids, which are good for your heart and brain. It has more antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals, which can boost your immune system and prevent diseases. It has less saturated fat and cholesterol, which can lower your risk of obesity and diabetes. It also has a richer and more complex flavor, which can enhance your enjoyment of the meat.
For a reliable and convenient source of grass-fed & organic beef, Steak Club is a reliable and trusted online butcher delivery service that offers premium cuts of beef from local and sustainable farms.
We deliver fresh and vacuum-sealed beef to your door, so you can enjoy the best quality meat at the best price. You can also choose from a variety of cuts, sizes, and packages, and customize your order according to your preferences and needs.
Tips and Tricks to Cooking a Tender and Juicy Round Roast Crock Pot
- To make your round roast even more tender and juicy, you can marinate it overnight in a mixture of red wine, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, rosemary, and salt.
This will add more flavor and moisture to the meat, as well as help break down some of the tough fibers.
- To make your gravy even more rich and flavorful, you can add some butter, cream, or sour cream to the saucepan after you thicken it with cornstarch.
This will add some fat and creaminess to the gravy, as well as balance out the acidity of the broth.
- To make your vegetables even more soft and tasty, you can add some brown sugar, honey, or maple syrup to the crock pot along with the broth.
This will add some sweetness and caramelization to the vegetables, as well as complement the savory flavor of the roast.
- To make your round roast even more impressive and festive, you can serve it with some mashed potatoes, rice, noodles, or bread.
These are all great options to soak up the gravy and add some starch and texture to the dish. You can also serve it with some green salad, coleslaw, or roasted vegetables for some freshness and crunch.
What to Serve With a Round Roast Crock Pot
You can serve it with a variety of side dishes with a round roast crock pot to make a complete and satisfying meal. We suggest any combination of the following that you prefer:
- Mashed potatoes: Mashed potatoes are a classic and comforting side dish that pair well with the rich gravy from the roast. You can make them creamy, cheesy, or garlic-flavored, depending on your preference. You can also use other types of potatoes, such as roasted, baked, or scalloped.
- Roasted vegetables: Roasted vegetables are a simple and healthy way to add some color and flavor to your plate. You can use any vegetables you like, such as carrots, parsnips, Brussels sprouts, or cauliflower. Season them with salt, pepper, herbs, and a drizzle of oil, and roast them in the oven until tender and caramelized.
- Green beans: Green beans are a crisp and fresh contrast to the hearty roast. You can steam, sauté, or roast them, and add some butter, garlic, lemon, or almonds for extra flavor. You can also use other green vegetables, such as broccoli, spinach, or kale.
- Salad: Salad is a light and refreshing side dish that can balance out the richness of the roast. You can toss some greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, cheese, and nuts with your favorite dressing, or make a more substantial salad with grains, beans, or fruits.
- Bread or rolls: Bread or rolls are a great way to soak up the delicious gravy from the roast. You can make your own homemade bread or rolls, or buy some from the store. You can also serve them with some butter, jam, or honey.
This round roast crock pot recipe is a delicious and economical cut of beef that can feed a large crowd. However, it can also be tough and dry if cooked improperly.
That’s why a crock pot is the best way to cook a round roast, as it makes it tender and juicy, while creating a flavorful gravy and vegetables.
By following the steps and tips in this article, you can make a perfect round roast in a crock pot that will impress your family and friends.
If you want to buy a high-quality round roast, you should visit Steak Club. We are an online butcher delivery service that offers premium grass-fed and organic beef from local and sustainable farms.
We deliver fresh and vacuum-sealed beef to your door, so you can enjoy the best quality meat at the best price.
If you’re looking for other Slow Cooker & Instant Pot Beef Recipes, look no further than Steak Club. We have 100’s of hours of experience cooking beef.
Round Roast Crock Pot Recipe FAQ
It depends on the size and shape of the roast, as well as the temperature setting of the crock pot.
Generally, it takes about 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high to cook a round roast in a crock pot.
You can check the doneness of the roast by inserting a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the meat. It should read at least
- 63°C (145°F) for medium-rare
- 71°C (160°F) for medium
- 77°C (170°F) for well-done
You can store the leftover round roast in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To reheat the round roast, you can either microwave it in a microwave-safe dish, or bake it in an oven-safe dish covered with foil. You can also reheat the gravy and the vegetables in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
Besides using a crock pot, you can also cook a round roast in an oven, a pressure cooker, or a smoker.
- For the oven method, you need to preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F), place the roast in a roasting pan with some broth and seasonings, cover with foil, and bake for about 3 hours, or until tender.
- For the pressure cooker method, you need to sear the roast in some oil, add some broth and seasonings, lock the lid, and cook for about 1 hour, or until tender.
- For the smoker method, you need to season the roast with some rub, place it in a smoker with some wood chips, and smoke for about 4 hours, or until tender.